Friday, February 6, 2009

An Interesting Day

So my day has been very interesting....

Started off with my 9am class which is psych of personality. We got our tests back that we had just taken on Wednesday. The test was really hard and the whole class had thought so too. My teacher began the class by giving us the class average on the test, reminding us it is the lowest he's ever had in all his experiences teaching. He's been teaching quite a long time. Class average: 58% which is 32/55. I got a 62% aka 34/55. I was just happy it was above average. Highest grade was 48/55. He curved it, so with the curve I have a low C. Luckily we do get to drop our lowest test grade. Sad thing is he says he isn't really going to change the tests. We tried to explain to him that he doesn't really lecture. We spend the first 30 min of a 50 min class on devos, then the rest on grading our quizes. The quizes is how we studied. Obviously didn't help. He says he's not changing his lectures, and refused to listen to why it wasn't working. Very frustrating. He also mentioned at the beginning of class how 80% of the test questions should have been covered in class, yet he then mentioned how 20 some of the 55 questions everyone missed. If it was covered in class, at least one person would have gotten it right.

So after class, it was time for chapel. Topic of today: "choosing the right car for you" aka finding the girl for you....I would say mate, but the sermon seemed to be focused more towards guys. So the car analogies were very excessive. Very uncomfortable, and a little degrading for a girl. I mean he said things like "don't just buy a car based on their wild looking paint job" or "don't go for the antiques, don't even discuss it, they've had many owners" and he mentioned things about not going for cars who have had several past owners. Oh and of course the whole "test drive, but with respect" whatever that is supposed to mean. And how it was important to make sure the "brakes work". At the very end of the sermon Pastor Sid says, "lets close with something out of the owners manual" and then the screen said S/S then some verse number. I quickly realized S/S stood for Song of Solomon. Then he began reading the passage about thighs, navels, and breasts. Then no explanation. Just quickly into closing prayer.

After chapel came lunch. It was pleasant. I was in line and a random girl told me that I am very pretty. Although I had wished it was a guy to have told me, it was still very nice. Its nice to get random compliments from strangers as opposed to just my friends.

Next class was a test for drug abuse and alcoholism. didn't sutdy too much for it. It was slightly frustrating because our teacher was not well prepared. He didn't have enough copies of the test and instead of going to make a few more copies, he decided that he would have some of us wait for a copy. We told him we could jsut tear the pages apart and share that way. He aslo got the idea to display a couple pages at a time on the screen. I was one of the lucky few that he didn't hand a test. I am oneof those test takers that tests and a different pace than everyone else. I am usually the first one done with m/c tests. Well I also couldn't read the screen because it was at an awkward angle and the words were small. so a girl on my floor would tear of each page as she finished to hand me. I was very grateful to her, but at the same time I had to sit and wait after each page cuz I answer the questions quickly.

My final class of the day, Mental Health, we got back our tests. She had made it sound like the grades were all bad. And as each person around me got their tests, dissappointment definitly filled the room. I was the last to get my test back, I look at the grade, 93%. A great relief considering I almost failed my personality test and the whole class did badly on that one too. The girl behind me had failed so she was a little upset that I had done that well. And the teacher decided to curve the tests. And I soon found out that my score was the highest. Then one of the guys who sits near me was like, "I want to know who threw off the curve" and then he found out it was me. but then he quickly drew back in his anger and said "well, i'm not mad, its just you are smart and I'm dumb. its not your fault". So anyway, I was secretly happy about my grade, but I didn't want others to be mad at me.

So that's my day. crazy! and its only 2pm! I am going to see "He's Just Not That Into You" tonight with some friends. Time for relaxation till then!

2 comments:

just_me_tiff said...

wow...secret life of the american college student hahaha

Nicky Stade said...

That chapel sermon just baffles me! How stupid!!