Friday, May 8, 2009

Tornado Time

So this morning I wake up and get ready for work. It was so hot, humid, and muggy in the apartment. Yet it was still pretty dark outside. Its kind of stormy. Hear just little bits of thunder. Get my car loaded up (cuz i'm heading home for the weekend right after work) and the sky isn't the normal color. Get to work. Its drizzling a bit. Get into my office and I hear tornado sirens go off. Luckily in this new building at work there is a basement (well we aren't allowed to call it that....its the 1st floor). So everyone arriving goes down to the basement. I hear that there was a tornado spotted in Republic which is on the west side of Springfield. My apartment is also on the west side of Springfield. I text my roommate to make sure she and our other roommate are awake. They are to hearing the sirens. Since we are in a new building and pretty sure we don't have neighboors on the first floor just yet, they ended up staying in the fourth floor in the bathroom. I was slightly glad I was not back there. Their power ended up going out too. Meanwhile everyone in the office is trying to figure out what exactly the storm is doing. When we get back upstairs, there are a couple of big trees down in the front parking lot. It is still really windy and I watch out the window and see another tree had fallen down. Its crazy to see uprooted trees. The odd thing is there were new trees planted a month or so ago and they did not blowover..... Anyway, there were cars parked under some of these trees that fell. I think three all in all got smashed. Only one I think may be drivable. Poor people. I'm just glad I park in a lot with no trees.

Now the sun is shining and my lunch is almost over. Time to get back to work. Hopefully this afternoon goes by fast because I head home when I'm done!!!

No comments: